IACS PARTICIPATION AT PPR 5
In demonstrating its ongoing commitment to support the work of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), IACS will attend the next meeting of the IMO’s Sub-Committee on Pollution Prevention and Response (PPR 5) that will meet from 5 to 9 February.
IACS has submitted one paper to this meeting that proposes draft amendments to the NOx Technical Code 2008 and consequential amendments to resolution MEPC.291|(71) (the 2017 Guidelines addressing additional aspects to the NOx Technical Code 2008 with regard to particular requirements related to marine diesel engines fitted with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Systems). These amendments would make Scheme A and Scheme B (relating to the testing of engines fitted with NOx-reducing devices) equally applicable – a policy decision that was taken by the Sub-Committee at its fourth session.
IACS will also provide advice and comments to the Sub-Committee, both in plenary and the Working and Drafting Groups that it is expected will be established, on a number of issues. In particular, IACS will contribute to the discussions on:
- Revised guidance on ballast water sampling and analysis
- Standards for shipboard gasification of waste systems and associated amendments to regulation 16 of MARPOL Annex VI
- Guidelines for the discharge of exhaust gas recirculation bleed-off water
- Revised certification requirements for SCR systems under the NOx Technical Code
- Review of the 2015 Guidelines for Exhaust Gas Cleaning Systems (resolution MEPC.259(68))
- Amendments to regulation 14 of MARPOL Annex VI to require a dedicated sampling point for fuel oil
- Revised Guidelines for the application of MARPOL Annex I requirements to FPSOs and FSUs
- Review of the IBTS Guidelines and amendments to the IOPP Certificate and Oil Record Book
- Use of electronic record books
- Use of multiple engine operating profiles (Maps) for marine diesel engines
The IACS paper can be downloaded here.
Any enquiries on the above should be sent to Paul Sadler, IACS Accredited Representative to IMO, at firstname.lastname@example.org