In demonstrating its ongoing commitment to support the work of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), IACS will participate in the next meeting of the IMO’s Sub-Committee on Pollution Prevention and Response (PPR 7) that will meet from 17 to 21 February 2020. IACS has submitted four papers to this meeting on the following issues:
- PPR 7/6/2 proposes adding a new paragraph to the draft resolution adopting the amendments to Annex 1 and Annex 4 to the Antifouling Systems (AFS) Convention, inviting Parties to remind Companies that a survey should be requested in a timely manner to allow for the issuance of the new International Anti-fouling System Certificate (IAFSC).
- PPR 7/11/1 provides comments on part 1 of the report of the Correspondence Group on Exhaust Gas Cleaning Systems (PPR 6/11), which includes proposals for amendments to the 2015 Guidelines for exhaust gas cleaning systems (resolution MEPC.259(68)). The document highlights the need for clarification of the expected contents of the Onboard Monitoring Manual (OMM) with respect to the survey requirements for monitoring systems used for continuous monitoring of Scheme B exhaust gas cleaning systems.
- PPR 7/18 discusses a new IACS Unified Interpretation (MPC130) of paragraph 184.108.40.206 of the NOx Technical Code 2008 and revised IACS Unified Interpretations MPC33, MPC51 and MPC74, with a view to facilitating the consistent and global implementation of the NOx Technical Code 2008.
- PPR 7/21/6 provides information on the experience of IACS Members with respect to the certification of engine/SCR-systems under MARPOL Annex VI.
IACS will also provide advice and comments to the Sub-Committee both in plenary, and in the Working and Drafting Groups that will be established, on a number of issues. In particular, IACS will contribute to the discussions on:
- The review of the 2011 Guidelines for the control and management of ships' biofouling to minimize the transfer of invasive aquatic species (resolution MEPC.207(62)) (agenda item 7)
- Development of Guidelines for onboard sampling of fuel oil not in use by the ship (agenda item 9)
- Standards for shipboard gasification of waste systems and associated amendments to regulation 16 of MARPOL Annex VI (agenda item 10)
- Review of the IBTS Guidelines and amendments to the IOPP Certificate and Oil Record Book (agenda item 15), and other matters discussed under Any Other Business agenda item.
Any enquiries on the above should be sent to Konstantin Petrov, IACS Accredited Representative to IMO, at firstname.lastname@example.org